Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Rotten Onion

I cannot believe I am writing this post but blame The Onion. It's 1:00 in the morning (East coast time) and I should be sleeping.

Yes, I did stay up to watch the Oscars, just like so many others. And yes, I followed along on Twitter with the hashtags #oscars and #oscars2013.

As soon as Ben and company won for Argo (spoiler!), I shut down my laptop and headed for bed. After brushing my teeth, I decided to take turn my laptop back on one more time. I was curious to see if there was any more action on Twitter.

Lo and behold! I saw a ludicrous tweet about Quvenzhane Wallis, the nine year old girl who was nominated for an Oscar. She didn't win but apparently The Onion (@theonion) called her the "c-word".

YES, THAT C-WORD!!!



I wish I was telling a fib but am not, sadly. I don't want to repeat the actual quote because it was "vile" as one person mentioned on Twitter.

And now, everything and everyone is hitting the fan! A campaign to #unfollowtheonion has begun.

It took The Onion almost an hour to delete the ill-advised tweet. Seriously, almost sixty minutes and countless retweets later, someone removed the post. Fail.

Leave little, beautiful children alone. More importantly, why does The Onion feel the need to use the c-word when referring to a nine-year old girl??? Why?

This is only the beginning. It's going to be a long week for The Onion.

Do everyone a favor - apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Lucky IJ. Powered by