Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Make IT Happen Monday: Public Relations Opp

I am happy to say, I spent my birthday weekend eating, sleeping and shopping. I did complete my previous goal of successfully going to bed three days in a row, before midnight. Best sleep ever!

My respite and birthday awesomeness came to an end last Tuesday morning. I boarded a direct flight to DCA at 6 a.m. and went straight to my internship and then a three-hour analytics class. Bru-tal! I only nodded off a little bit and decided against leaving class during intermission, which was a good decision. The second half of class was devoted to questions, mostly an open forum and I really learned a lot from that type of structure. I cannot wait to apply my knowledge to the digital strategy I'm building for my social media and web marketing internship.

As much as I am enjoying my internship in D.C., I actually have another one that keeps me busy. For the past few months, I was on the fervent and diligent hunt for an internship with a PR agency or firm. I did not have a particular focus though I do love startups and fashion. I applied, and applied and even tried to use my LinkedIn connections but no luck; that is until I started actively using Twitter. I stumbled upon a PR chat discussion, #prcafe, hosted and founded by @IdealPublicity. I've participated in a couple of different chats and everyone is supportive and insightful. There are really good questions and tips about being a publicist, working with clients, event planning, securing placements, etc. Everything and anything. Thanks to this chat, my interest and knowledge in PR has grown exponentially.

When I saw this tweet in late January, I went straight to my Gmail to begin composing a compelling, snazzy pitch. The subject of my email: "Remote Intern Ready to Dive into PR". Lol, it worked!

About six weeks later (the agony), I got a positive response. As of early March, I've been virtually interning with GoodGirlPR and I love it! The research is not glamorous but certainly a good learning opportunity. Plus, getting tips from a boss lady like Nickie, company founder and owner, has been really great.

Sometimes opportunities come out of nowhere and can take time, but when everything aligns, it's a really good feeling. I literally dove at the chance (hence my email subject line) and it's paying off. Happy face.

And that's the latest edition of Make It Happen Monday.

luckily yours,

IJ

--
P.S. Still working on a blog design, meh.

Want more of Lucky IJ? Check me out on Pinterest and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Lucky IJ. Powered by