Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Day After

In September of 2001, I started my first year of high school. I was pretty excited about the next step in my life. The first week went just fine; complete with a pep rally, homework and a football game. The next week, specifically Tuesday, September 11th, will remain with me and countless Americans and people across the world forever. I was too confused and distraught to write in my diary but at 8:30 a.m on Wednesday, September 12th, I attempted to explain what happened and how I felt. The following excerpt is a transcription of a diary entry I wrote -

My diary, January 2001 - December 2001
So much has happened so fast. At the moment, I should be in school. But that's not the case. Here's the story. Yesterday morning (9/11) the World Trade Center (WTC), also known as the Twin Towers, collapsed because of a terrorist attack. These terrorist hijacked four commercial planes. Another plane crashed into the Pentagon. The WTC and Pentagon had large fires that kept burning. Then, the unthinkable happened, the towers fell...It's really and truly unbelievable. The videos on TV are.. odd. The plane actually went through the building and then the second one.
I mean... how could this happen?

 
Out of tragedy, even years later, there is hope. Hope to serve others. Hope to live out our personal and professional dreams. Hope for a peaceful world. Reflecting on this day is a good reminder that we can aspire to do more in hopes that good will always outlast evil. I pray for this hope and so much more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Lucky IJ. Powered by